Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Thursday 30 May 2013

Review: The Hazards of Skinny Dipping - Alyssa Rose Ivy

The Hazards of Skinny DippingTitle: The Hazards of Skinny Dipping
Author: Alyssa Rose Ivy
Release Date: May 17th 2013
Genres: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 248
Source: Bought
This isn't a deep book about first loves or self-discovery. If you want a book like that, I'd be happy to recommend one, but I don't have that kind of story to tell. Instead my story is about rash decisions and finding out that your dream guy is bad in bed. It's the story of when I finally went skinny dipping, and how my life was never the same again. Oh, and it's also the story of my freshman year of college and realizing Mr. Right might have been there all along.



Let me start of by saying that I before starting this book, I didn't think I'd like it. Not really sure why, but I didn't have any high expectations for it. And this was also my first book by Alyssa Rose Ivy so I had really no idea if I was going to enjoy it or not. Fortunately, I was wrong and I ended up reading it the same day and I surprisingly quite enjoyed it.

At the start, I didn't really like Juliet. I thought she was quite stupid and just didn't really question anything. She just slept with this guy after they went skinny dipping and all that. I didn't like that she didn't really realise how much of a jerk and a stupid asshole Dylan was. I also didn't like that it took too much time for her to realise that (she did in the end, but I was getting way impatient). I didn't hate her, it just took some time to warm up to her and once she actually 'opened her eyes', you get to really see what kind of character she is. Oh, and I liekd that she wasn't a stereotypical character like what we see a lot in NA/YA, she wasn't a virgin nor a whore. So all in all - Juliet at the beginning (hate), Juliet at the end (like). :)

OMG. I want to punch Dylan and probably kick him in the balls too. He was just a massive dickhead and I HATED HIS GUTS. I know we weren't supposed to like him really but I JUST HATED HIM. I don't think I've ever had this reaction to a fictional character before. He was too possessive, jealous, you name it. I don't know what Juliet ever saw in him to be honest.

Now Reed, on the other hand, I absolutely loved! I rooted for him at the very beginning (and the end). He was so funny, smart, and doesn't treat girls like shit. He's so charming and the kind of guy you'd want to take home to your parents. He's just an overall sweet guy and I flipping adored him.

The plot was actually very interesting and quite different to other NA books in my opinion. There was a lot of stuff you can learn from this story and I liked the growth Juliet has throughout the book. She grows from this naive girl to a woman who knows what she finally wants. Oh, and I find it funny that the book started with a scene of skinny dipping and also ended with up. The question is, with who this time? :P




2 comments:

  1. I was on the fence about reading this, but after reading how this was different from other NA/YA books, I'm in. I love the New Adult genre, but it can get monotonous. The same character types are in every book, like you said. Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it surprised you in a good way. Thank you for reading and reviewing it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...