Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Saturday 28 July 2012

Review: Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas

Author: Sarah J. Maas
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Release Date: August 2nd 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 404
Source: For Review

Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.


In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?

This is the best high fantasy I've read since Daughter of Smoke and Bone last year. It's got everything I want in a book - non-stop action, a kick-ass female assassin(!),  an electric romance, imaginative storytelling and two super swoonworthy guys! I couldn't put this book down! Totally made my day when I woke up in the morning and found out I got approved on Netgalley for this! I read this in a day, and am now anxiously awaiting the sequel!

If you haven't already read ToG, I suggest you read the four prequel novellas first. You don't have to, but it would be great to have that understanding and so you wouldn't be as confused as to why she was in that situation at the beginning of this book.

Celaena is the main reason why I'm obsessed with this series already. I can't even say a bad thing about her. NOTHING. And you guys know how picky I am of my female protagonists. Celaena is my favourite of them all. She's fearless, deadly, kind and acts like a girl. She obsesses over pretty things like clothes, gowns, makeup etc. And you know what? She knows and acknowledges that she's pretty. Beautiful, even. Not like those whiny brats I keep reading about that goes 'oh I'm so ugly blah blah blah I'm so ordinary blah blah blah'. Argh. Stop and just shut up. That is one of my book pet peeves ever. And I'm so glad that Celaena is different and she even uses her beauty to her advantage. I just love this girl. BUT. That's not to say she isn't flawed. She is.  She's realistically flawed and makes mistakes like every other normal being out there. But the difference is that she turns it around, and tries to figure out how to undo it. 

The plot was also a breath of fresh air. I thought it was very original, highly creative and the world-building was just amazing. Sarah's writing was phenomenal as always, and how she describes the setting it feels like you were really there with Celaena. At first I was a bit reluctant when I heard of this book since it's high fantasy, and I've read a lot of fantasy but most of them disappointed me. Not this one. This just exceeded all my expectations! The interesting and unique cast of characters and the fantasy elements will make you fall in love with Sarah's debut!

The love triangle. This is probably the hardest one for me. Uhhh the charming prince, or the gruff Captain of the Royal Guard?? Who to pick?  I kept going back and forth between these two equally amazing guys! SO HOT! Also, shit is about to hit the fan since the two guys are best friends.  But I'm not sure it will stay like that for long though ;). I love Celaena and I'll be happy with whoever she chooses in the end. But I gotta say I love Chaol a tiny bit more ;) 

Guys, if you're in a reading slump or something, and you're looking for a read that's fast-paced, riveting and downright addictive with a strong female assassin, well I suggest pre-ordering Throne of Glass right now. NOW.  

And this is probably my favourite girl-on-the-cover ever! Much MUCH better than the US one. To be honest I think the US cover does nothing to show it's amazingness inside. If I hadn't already read this before the cover was revealed, and I've seen the US cover, I probably wouldn't even read it. True. I just LOVE this UK one. And have you seen the back cover? It's Celaena in a dress. WIN. I can't wait to get my copy. I've already pre-ordered it (yay thank god I live in England) and already stalking my mailman. Hurry up already.  


Read my interview with author here: Author Interview - Sarah J. Maas
Novella 1: The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (review)
Novella 2: The Assassin and the Desert (review)
Novella 3: The Assassin and the Underworld 
Novella 4: The Assassin and the Empire 
Book 1: Throne of Glass (this.)
 

1 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! Great review, I keep hearing great things about this book. Thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...