Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Sunday 1 July 2012

Review: Pushing The Limits - Katie McGarry

Author: Katie McGarry
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Release Date: July 31st 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 384
Source: For Review (Netgalley)

So wrong for each other...and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.  Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.
This book in five words: sexy, hot, sensitive, powerful and just downright addictive. I couldn't stop reading this one; couldn't flip the pages fast enough, and couldn't wait to find out more. This has the perfect blend of romance, mystery, and contemporary. 

The first chapter really does a great job at hooking the reader in and not letting go. I couldn't put this book down and read this in one sitting because I couldn't wait to find out what happens in the end. Each and every character were all going through some tough shit in the book, and I was beginning to lose hope for any happily ever after. Not going to spoil it, but the ending was just right for this type of story. 

The writing was just amazing, and I think Katie did a great job at writing from both main characters' perspectives - Noah's and Echo's. For me, I always prefer the male voice (dunno why, maybe because I'm a girl and I'm interested to what guys actually think?), but surprisingly in PUSHING THE LIMITS, I loved both POV's. 

The only negative thing: I was so ready to put the 'Best Book of 2012 so far' stamp on this, but it kinda fell through in the second half. I don't know why that is, possibly from Noah's character. You see, I LOVED Noah, and I really admired his determination to get his younger brothers back. I fell for him at the beginning. But after the middle and near the end, I don't know, but something just changed about him. It was like he wasn't the character that I fell in love with 100 or so pages back. Which is a damn shame because this would have easily been a 5 star read. 

If you liked the Perfect Chemistry series (Simone Elkeles), Grafitti Moon (Cat Crowley), or Cross My Heart (Katie Klein), then I think you'll love Pushing the Limits. As for me, well, I'm waiting impatiently for Katie's next book. I WANT IT RIGHT NOW.


                                

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...