Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Sunday 1 January 2012

Review: Hallowed - Cynthia Hand

Author: Cynthia Hand 
Release Date: January 17th 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins

SUMMARY: For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

This series is no doubt one of the most under-rated series EVER. I feel like it should deserve more hype and I just WANT TO GIVE EVERYONE A COPY OF THIS IF I WAS MILLIONAIRE. But unfortunately I'm not.  
 
This. This is what every angel book should be like. And this is a story about angels that you expect angels to look/act like. I love the idea of every angel having their purpose, it's very similar to what type of angels I ‘believe’ in. And I adored that our main protagonist have to choose between free will and destiny, Tucker or Christian, God-will-love-you or God-will-be-pissed-at-you scenario. It's definitely my kinda story.

Cynthia's writing was fabulous. I can sympathize and relate to Clara soooo much. What I love about our heroine is that even though she's part angel (more on that later), she still acts and talks like a regular teenager. There are times when I found myself agreeing with her choices.


I agree with other people saying that this is definitely more emotional than Unearthly, and this is one book (except for Forbidden by Tabithat Suzuma) that nearly made me shed tears. God. That ending, I feel like I might have a breakdown just by thinking about the ending. But don’t worry, there’s lots of funny moments in this book (I couldn’t stop laughing at a particular scene with Clara, Tucker, his parents and the bed scene). :D

Towards the end, some MAJOR revelations and secrets were revealed and HOLY COW. My mouth was hanging wide open, I found my mum looking strangely at me. So embarassing. But so worth it.

This is one book you do not want to miss. If you loved/liked Unearthly, then I'm sure you'll love/like this one as much (if not, more). It's paranormal at its best, but sometimes read as a contemporary (which I didn't mind). It’s got everything you would want in a novel – fascinating storyline, outstanding characters, descriptive setting and A ONE YUMMY COWBOY. Oh dear Jesus.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...