Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Saturday 28 January 2012

Review: Everneath - Brodi Ashton

Author: Brodi Ashton
Release Date: January 24th 1012
Publisher: Harper Collins / Balzer and Bray

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

I was NOT expecting to love this book. At all. Not even expecting to like it one bit. BUT OHMYGOSH GUYS THIS BOOK IS JUST AMAZING!!! Sorry for the caps, but seriously. You need to read this book. Right now. I can't tell you how much this book surprised me in a lot of ways. REALLY GOOD WAYS.

I never planned on reading this one, you wanna know why? 'Cause it's a paranormal and excuse me but, I am so ******* tired of paranormal. The popular and over-rated genre is still dominating the shelves, but only a few truly deserves it. EVERNEATH is one of those who do. Like I said before, I wasn't planning on reading this not just because it's a paranormal but also because it has a mythology retelling twist. AND YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I HATED STARCROSSED by Josephine Angelini. I hate that book with a passion. Argh. Did not finish. And by then, I kinda got turned off stories with Gods/Goddesses and Mythologies. But Everneath is an exception. It's everything I wanted ABANDON (by Meg Cabot)  and STARCROSSED to be like, but wasn't. I just want to say Thank You, Brodi Ashton :-).

The mythology and the plot was very interesting, I read this in a very short period of time, and even when I was at school I couldn't get my head out of EVERNEATH. The whole Everling thingy was so creepy yet fascinating, and I along with Nikki (the protagonist) couldn't wait to unravel and find out more about Everneath. The plot kept me turning the pages even when my eyes were threatening to close because I was so tired and my mind and brain was battling out whether to give in or not. 

I really admired Nikki. Even after all the shit that she went through during the Feed, both physically and mentally, she still remained strong and calm and loyal. Her reactions and emotions felt true to me, and I even though she kinda annoyed me at the first few chapters, I could understand why she did what she did. Besides, there was nothing she could do about it now. Her scenes with Jack was very heartbreaking and bittersweet. Definitely adding Nikki and Jack to my list of favourite YA couples.

Jack. Oh, Jack. He is so dreamy and swoonworthy that he even deserves his own paragraph. At the start, I thought he would be one of THOSE jerks-players who thinks they're God's gift to women but oh no. Jack was sooo sweet and just an all round nice guy. But that doesn't mean he's perfect. Because he is so not, but that's what made me fall for him. He's still has some faults, and there were times when I wanted to smack him. BUT I am totally on Team Jack. I don't even know why everyone is thinking of Cole as a part of a love triangle. WTF? Am I the only one who doesn't think Nikki and Cole are right for each other? They didn't have any chemistry at all. Nothing. Nada. I didn't like Cole at all. Too creepy. Too stalkerish.

This book went back and forth with the NOW, and the back THEN. I thought this was perfect, and a way to give, tell and show information without overwhelming the reader with so much info. Brodi Ashton's writing was flawless. I am a big fan of her now :) I thought the whole timing was great and I loved how we only get bits and pieces about Jack and Nikki's relationship before the Feed. 

The ending. GOSH. My mouth was literally hanging. I could not believe it. It was so sweet and so perfect and oh my days I don't know how I'm going to live until the sequel(!) comes out next door. Boohoo. There is a bit of a cliffhanger, as expected as this is a trilogy. 

Overall, EVERNEATH is a book you can NOT miss. It's a book about love, a book about hate, a book about family, a book about creepy shadowy things, but most of all, it's a book about redemption and if there is even such a thing. LOVE LOVE LOVE.


2 comments:

  1. Loved reading your post :-) Just read the book myself...Couldn't put it down! Although I am team Jack most of the way, there were times when I thought that Nikki should be with Cole :D Can't wait for the next one to come out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :D Glad you enjoyed it aswell! Yeah, I think there's something wrong with me, I'm like the only one who doesn't really like Cole! :) I can't wait for the next one as well, and we still have like a year! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...