Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Review: The Assassin & The Pirate Lord - Sarah J. Maas

Title: The Assassin & the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass #0.1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Release Date: January 21st 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury


A Throne of Glass novella.

On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She's been sent by the Assassin's Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. 
But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes - and she will risk everything to right the wrong she's been sent to bring about. 


I never got the chance to read Throne of Glass (formerly known as Queen of Glass back then) on Fictionpress when Sarah put it online on 2002 (when she was only 16 - 10 years ago!) but then she removed it from the site on 2008 to begin querying her book/series after getting more than 7,000 reviews and earned her masses of fans worldwide. Sigh. How I wish I read it since everyone keeps going on about how amazing and different it is! Anyway, the 'actual' novel will come out 7th August this year(!) but Bloomsbury is releasing four novellas. This is the first one of the quartet. Now I can't wait for the second one (The Assassin & the Desert) 

This short, fastpaced story opens with us being introduced to Celeana Sardothien, the protagonist, and even in the first few pages, you can clearly see why this seriously got everyone buzzing about it! It went straight to action, there was never a dull moment.

Celeana Sardothein is now officially one of my favourite protagonist. EVER. Even though this novella was short, I felt like I knew a lot about her, yet her decisions kept surprising me (in a good way of course!). She was feisty, knew she was the best assassin in the world, and guess what guys, she knew she was BEAUTIFUL. Yes. Beautiful. Oh my god. You don't know how tired I am about reading about lead female characters that moan and moan about how ugly they look even though they're beautiful, hot or pretty. OH GOD. What is up with that? But Celeana knew she was beautiful and she flaunted it! That's one of the reasons why I love her!
She clearly has a lot of confidence, cocky, demanding but she was also selfless, caring and acts like a real girl (she loves and adores clothes! Yay!) 

There wasn't a lot of romance in this one (probably why I didn't give it an A+) but I did very much enjoy the bantering with Sam, one of the other assassins. I really like him! I did read the summary for Throne of Glass, but he wasn't mentioned at all! So, I was wondering if he's going to appear?

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the story whatsover, but I have to admit that I AM SO JEALOUS of Sarah J. Maas! Not only is she incredibly pretty but she can write pretty damn good! Her writing is just so amazing! I'd be happy to have even a tiny bit of her talent!

This is one of the best high fantasy novels I've ever read in my entire life (and did you know that THRONE OF GLASS started out as a Cinderella re-telling? So instead of Cinderella coming to the ball to fall in love with the prince, she is sent to kill him since she's an assassin and all!- you know that's like one of the best and original plot line ever!) 

I really don't know how I'm going to survive until August 7th, so thank God Sarah and Bloomsbury will be releasing a novella every 1.5- 2 months  leading up to the release of the first full length novel (which begins 2 years after the novellas, I think) THRONE OF GLASS.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...